Tuesday 30 June 2009

oem

I’d often wondered what oem meant, which I’d sometimes seen after the name of (cheap) software for sale. It indicates that said software had been supplied with hardware by an Original Equipment Manufacturer (and so terms of sale, licensing etc are different than those applying to regular retail products).

In the context of this blog, however, I was wondering whether I should insert (oem) – ‘Ooh er missus!’ as an indication or warning of a particularly gratuitous double entendre and so pass off a moment of self indulgence as knowing, post-modernist irony.

Hmmm. A teacher at my school once commented that I found it hard to leave things implicit or unsaid. I think he was probably correct about that, I find it so hard to resist, lest a little gem (no matter how small in size or poor in quality) might be overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment